Tuesday 21 June 2011

American Women's Club


Charlotte and I attended a coffee hour with Naina at the American Women's Club today.  It was fun chatting with other women who are going through a similar experience as we are.  We all asked a lot of questions and shared a lot of tips on how to navigate living in this new country.  Many of the women had lived abroad elsewhere before coming to London (France, Holland, Australia) and it was fun talking to them about living abroad.

Out of the seven or so women that went out to lunch after the coffee hour, it seems that we're the only ones planning on staying here permanently.  For that reason, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to became an official member of the group.  I would be sad to invest lots of time and energy into making friends if they're all just going to move away in a few years!  Also, the group isn't really aimed at women with young families (although they apparently want to change that).  They said Charlotte could join me for most events, but it would be more fun for me (and Charlotte!) if the activities were more kid friendly.  (In fact, just getting to their office involved pulling the pushchair up two flights of stairs!) 

Regardless, it was a fun group of women and we had a lovely time chatting.  They will let you attend two official events without signing up and paying dues, so I think Charlie and I will try out a couple events and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...