Monday 23 April 2012

Italy Part II: Singing in Vicenza

When I was invited to join the English and Italian Lute Societies for a concert at the Teatro Olimpico in Vicenza, Italy, Jason and I decided to make a vacation out of it.  As a result, I missed out on some of the vacay due to rehearsals, but Jason and Charlie got to spend quality time together (Jason is working on that post . . . ) 

I had two days of rehearsal and then more rehearsals on the day of the performance.  Rehearsals were held at the Villa Caldogno which is just north of Vicenza.  There were quite a few people with cameras hanging around and I have lifted many of their pictures to post here.  

I had the pleasure to sing with two lovely sopranos:  Jenni and Rebecca



We were accompanied by fifty lutes, theorbos and baroque guitars.  For those of you not familiar with these instruments, it is very rare to have this many of them playing together at once.  The idea of it seemed a bit odd to me at first, but once I heard everyone together I thought the effect was interesting and really quite beautiful.  


Though our first day was spent in what was basically a large conference room, the second day of rehearsals was in the stunning Villa Caldogno.  


If you look beyond my silly expression you may notice some familiar faces lurking outside the window in the picture below:


Jason and Charlie would come around when I had breaks and Charlie LOVED running around and exploring the grounds of the villa:


We were not supposed to take pictures in the Teatro Olimpico, but those who managed to snap a few have shared them with the rest of us.  Before I share those, here I am in my dressing room.  I was quite relieved to have my own room given the strapless bra I had to navigate . . . 


I don't have a very good picture of me in my dress, but you can get an idea from the picture below.  Forgive the awkwardness of the photo below.  I was attempting to flirt while singing the most oddly syncopated piece I've ever sung!


And here I am angry a (the gorgeous!) Rebecca when she denies me her love:


Jason and Charlie sat up in the nosebleed section (right by a door, just in case) and Jason snapped this picture with his iPhone of my big solo.  He said that, despite it being way past her bedtime, Charlie sat on Jason's lap and quietly and attentively watched the entire concert.  When she saw me she would say, "mama" and point and she would applaud after every piece.  I can't tell you how much that warms my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...